Congratulations to the students and staff of our Barnum Elementary School, which earned the recognition of being named a 2015 Reward School! Minnesota’s Education Commissioner, Brenda Cassellius, wrote, “Your school is among the highest performing schools in the state, and this recognition reflects the incredible success of your students.” Again, congratulations for a job well done!
The Barnum School District is now using Campus Messenger, instead of Honeywell Instant Alert, to send notification of school closings, late starts, and updates on your child’s lunch account balance. Campus Messenger is able to text and call your cell phone, as well as make calls to your home phone. Please check with the elementary or high school offices to make certain that your contact information is current.
At its April 21, 2015, regular meeting, the Barnum School Board rejected all bids for the demolition and replacement of the Barnum Elementary School’s 1962 boiler and ventilation system because the Board felt that the bids were too expensive. The Board decided to rebid the project in the fall of 2015, and consideration of new bids for the boiler and ventilation project will be considered at the Board’s November 17, 2015, regular meeting. If a bid is accepted at this meeting, work on the project will begin once the boiler is shut down in the spring of 2016.
The 2015 summer updates and improvements on our schools’ property have been completed, and it all looks great!
- The high school gymnasium has had a make-over with new bleachers, refinished and painted floor, and painted walls and doors.
- New LED lighting has been installed in several locations inside and outside of the buildings. The new lighting is more energy efficient and provides better light.
- Additional security measures were added to help keep students and staff safe.
- The transportation building was given a long overdue remodel to make it a safer and more efficient place to work and park buses.
- New technology was installed to support approximately 1,200 computers and other devices used on an average day.
- Kindergarten through grade six, and grades 8, 10, and 11 are 1:1 with iPads
One of the goals of the Barnum School Board is to support the maintenance of, and improvements to, the District’s buildings and grounds in order to enhance our learning and working environment. These completed projects and the routine maintenance of our facilities also reflect the pride our students, staff, and community have in the Barnum School District.